Our society is gradually changing its view of the body and the mind. In a new century marked by stress, fast food and a sedentary lifestyle, words such as ” gym “, “spa”, “vegetarianism”, “nutrition”, among others, are beginning to be slogans.
Initially, especially with the arrival of summer, the ultimate goal is to achieve a slimmer body to feel good on the beach. However, a healthy weight is much more than a beautiful body: it also brings benefits to both physical and psychological levels.
A poor diet, the lack of physical activity, smoking and alcohol consumption can cause obesity, diabetes. hypertension, high cholesterol, cardiovascular and orthopedic diseases, depression, and even certain types of cancer.
So, rather than just lose weight, it is important to worry about your body: healthy eating and regular physical exercise help to prevent, treat and even cure some diseases, and contribute to a mental well-being.
However, the thoughts of “diet”, “exercise” and a bigger “dietary restriction” can be a nightmare for some people, accustomed to be sitting on the couch and go to the fridge whenever they want. For this reason, the most important thing when starting a diet is your mood: in order to achieve your goals, you must be motivated and keep a positive thought, because weight loss is not as easy as it seems.
To start, forget about those crazy diets and miracle ingredients, because they don’t work or don’t even exist. You must also prevent rapid loss of weight as a result of radical diets that only include salads, soup or fruit drinks. The most likely is that after stopping the diet, you would return to the same weight that you had when you started the diet, or even become heavier.
The big fluctuations in weight caused by unsuccessful diets can compromise the health more than being overweight, so you should be sure you want to lose weight. Seek the help of professionals to assist you in this stage of your life, namely, a nutritionist and, if you go to the gym, a personal trainer. These professionals study your case and show you how to achieve your objectives. Weight loss should be gradual, so you must be accompanied by these professionals for several months.
Dangers of Rapid Weight Loss
When a person loses weight quickly, hardly will be able to maintain the body, and crazy diets do not provide the nutrients that the body needs to function properly. In addition to losing fat, the body also loses a lot of water and muscles, causing sagging and affecting the metabolism. Sudden weight loss can also cause stress and fatigue because, while consuming fewer calories daily, the body does not have enough energy to perform day-to-day activities.
It is very common for people to skip meals or be fasting to lose weight, but it is harmful to their health and causes, when they eat, to easily eat too much.
When you lose weight drastically, when you return to eating normally, you will recover the lost pounds quickly. So, the secret to a normal weight and a healthier body goes through re-education and not by constraint.
So how should you lose weight?
The best way to lose weight is gradually, in order to be healthy and lasting.
The first step is to know how much you weight and how many pounds you want to lose. The professional support of a nutritionist is beneficial as it helps you set a weight loss plan to your needs.
The psychological state is also important for effective weight loss. Try to be motivated because, especially in the initial phase, weight loss may not be an easy task. Seek the support and company of family or friends to not make mistakes.
The best option is a gradual loss of weight. According to nutritionists, a good goal is the loss of up to 2kg per month, with a balanced diet and physical exercise.
In order to avoid suddenly weight loss, it is essential to have a diet rich in carbohydrates, protein and fiber. The fibers are very important because in addition to regulate intestinal transit, they increase the feeling of satiety.
Tips for healthy eating:
- Do six meals a day, in smaller quantities (breakfast, mid-morning, lunch, mid-afternoon, dinner and supper);
- Drink plenty of water, 1.5 liters to 2 liters. In addition to hydrate, the water helps eliminating toxins and preventing fluid retention. Remember that all foods contain water, especially fruits and vegetables, so you have the task of drinking water reduced;
- You should not only pay attention to the food, but also how to prepare it. Give preference to baked and grilled, reducing fried, and use olive oil as the only source of fat;
- Choose whole grains instead of white bread and pasta;
- Having breakfast is very important. In addition to providing energy, you won’t feel so hungry later. It should consist of dairy, whole grains and fruit;
- Chew the food well. If it takes longer to eat, the brain assimilates that you’re eating more and increases the feeling of fullness and well-being. Furthermore, the crushed foods are digested more easily;
- The recommended daily consumption of fruits and vegetables are 4-5 servings. Try something new each time in order to take advantage of the nutritional properties of these foods;
- Work out every day: just 30 minutes a day is enough. The exercise prevents certain diseases, since it helps the immune system;
- Control your emotional state, since the stress and anxiety may induce you to eat more;
- Consume sweeteners in moderation. In excess, they may increase blood sugar levels and accumulate fat in adipose tissue;
- Start the larger meals (such as lunch and dinner) with soup or salad: they increase satiety, reducing the portions of the main course. You may also include fruit or gelatin for dessert;
- Avoid the consumption of fast food and processed products such as soft drinks, packet drinks, canned food and delicatessen;
- Have a varied diet, consuming foods from all groups: cereals, bread and tubers, group of fruits, greens and vegetables, group of milk and derivatives, group of legumes, group of meat and the group of sweets and fats. Each food group provides necessary nutrients, but you should consume more food of some groups (cereals, fruits, vegetables, etc.) and less of others (meat, sweets and fats);
- Consume milk and lean derivatives such as skimmed milk and light cheese/ yogurts. These options contain less fat;
- In small snacks between meals, eat a piece of fruit or yogurt;
- Healthy food, for some people, may not be appealing. Look for healthy and tasty recipes on the Internet;
- Do not weigh daily but weekly. Weigh yourself daily can cause anxiety.
The process of losing weight can prove time consuming, but do not give up. After all, how many years it took to win those extra pounds? So it makes sense that it’s difficult to lose them. And why compromise your health with crazy diets to fit quickly in those clothes you like, and a few weeks later be back to the same situation (weighing the same or even more)? In addition to only have restrictions, then easily leads to overeating. So, losing weight in a sustainable way is the best option: enjoy more of your body, eat everything (of course, in view of what and how much) and be happy!